School nurse takes on A&P

Ashlie Gary and Zenobia McMillan, Staff Members

For the 2018-2019 school year, Nurse Tina Gilmore has taken on the Anatomy and Physiology class. She has never worked as an educator for high school students, however she has worked as an educator in a hospital. She taught the staff everything they needed in terms of doing their jobs, such as CPR, understanding patients with certain psychiatric disorders, and self defense for violent victims.

“I love working with people and being able to help them and also love to learn new things,” said Nurse Tina, “and the medical field is constantly changing and evolving so there is endless learning potential.”

Nurse Tina teaches select juniors and seniors everything they need to know about the basic anatomy and physiology of the body. They go over all of the body systems and the different functions of the body. Right now, they have just went over Principles of Body Mechanics. They are getting ready for a test over the Skeletal, Muscular, and Principles.

“Favorite part about my job is teaching my class and getting to know the kids better,” Nurse Tina said, “I am always open to contributing a pathway for students so that they can be their best.”

Nurse Tina didn’t go into nursing because she thought it was right for her, but because she already knew that she belonged in that field. When she was younger her father went into the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) and she liked how the nurses and doctors treated her and her father. Her witnessing this and going through this only helped her choice into going into the medical field.

“It was an extremely difficult time for me and the way they supported and helped my family and I was a life changing experience,” said Nurse Tina.

She hopes to continue her career in teaching and helping the students find their own path that they can start. She wishes that her teaching the students will give them the life changing experience similar to the one that she had.