New Coach to move Lady Cougar Basketball forward

Coach+Carter+monitors+during+football+practice.+He+is+an+assistant+football+coach+and+this+years+new+head+girls+basketball+coach.+

Coach Carter monitors during football practice. He is an assistant football coach and this year’s new head girls basketball coach.

Audrey Krieger

This year, the Rosebud-Lott Athletics program welcomed Coach Wayne Carter as their Head Girls Basketball coach and assistant football coach. He also joined the teaching team as 9th and 10th grade World History teacher. His favorite part about his job is to watch the students and athletes succeed by striving for excellence both of and off the court.

“When I was a young, beginning teacher, I was all about the sports aspect,” Carter said. “I think now that I’m older, I can equally appreciate the kids’ progress in both the classroom and court.”

For over 21 years, Coach Carter has been teaching and coaching at smaller school districts. He fits in easily at Rosebud-Lott, as he grew up in a small community and has had the most experience with small schools. After spending his first four years of work at his 2A high school alma mater, he continued to work mostly at a few small schools.

“I like the small-school community,” said Carter. “It’s more like a family and easier to build relationships with the kids.”

Carter believes that in order to get the most from students, a solid relationship must be formed first. The better the relationship, the more potential for a lasting effect the sport has on the athlete; both mentally and physically, and the better the student retains the information taught in class. As much as Carter values the sports he coaches and the subjects he teaches, he makes a point to put the kids first.

“It’s easy to learn the sport. It takes a while to learn relationships,” said Carter. “I come to work every morning, not for the sport, but for the kids.”

Carter is the proud father of two successful daughters and graduate of Texas State University. When he isn’t coaching on the court or teaching in the classroom, he enjoys fly fishing, visiting his daughter in Colorado, and watching sports during his free time.