New Principal takes the reigns

R-L makes adjustments as new principal takes over

Mr.+Johanson+works+at+his+desk+during+the+school+day.+Frequently%2C+students+will+see+him+in+the+hallways+and+visiting+classrooms+throughout+the+day.+

Mr. Johanson works at his desk during the school day. Frequently, students will see him in the hallways and visiting classrooms throughout the day.

Roar Staff

Rosebud-Lott welcomed a new principal for the 2018-2019 school year. Mr. Phillip Johanson joins the team at R-L from Belton Middle School. Mr. Johanson is not the typical administrator. Holding a master’s degree in theology, Johanson started his career in education later in life. He has worked previously as a youth minister at area churches. But, his main focus for R-L is improving what has already been happening.

“I’m a big picture guy,” Mr. Johanson said. “I see how the different pieces of the puzzle fit together, including football practice and English class, to produce the best students with the best education possible.”

Mr. Johanson has some work to put in towards this goal. As the only administrator on campus, he has to deal with not only the head principal duties as well as the duties of the assistant principal, which includes discipline. Since the start of the school year, there have been over 170 referrals turned in to him. With no assistant principal to carry these duties, it all falls on him.

“Instead of simply correcting the surface problem, I try to find the source of it,” said Johanson. “Every student misbehaves for a reason.”

Johanson’s goals for the school are ambitious. They include getting to know each and every student by name, increasing passing STAAR scores by 5%, and changing the current strict dress code. He has already taken steps to improve the latter, asking the Government classes at R-L to present to the school board in November a less strict dress code that addresses the core of the problem instead of all the little things. He aims to decrease the overall amount of discipline rederrals by the end of the school year.

“Teachers should be the focus on curriculum in the classroom, not discipline,” Johanson said.

Johanson is a father of three. His oldest works for the district, part-time, in the transportation department. His second oldest is at his alma mater, Texas A&M and his youngest is a junior in high school. He plans to plant roots here at R-L.

“I like being around students,” Johanson said. “The more I’m here, the more I’ll see the kids grow. I will get to see the different pieces of the puzzle; something that falls within my gifts and abilities.”