Athletics starts new program to honor athletes

Brady+Hering

Brady Hering

Zenobia McMillan, Staff Writer

Haven Mortimer
Erekah Easley
Clara Coker
John Paul Reyna
Rakasia Buhl

The RL Athletic department has added a new incentive to motivate their athletes called ‘Athlete of The Week’. In the first week of december they chose a student athlete who has had an outstanding performance in either a game or during the week for the athletics department. 

“We are always trying trying to find a way to showcase our athletes,” Coach Amanda Spencer said.

Athlete of the week has no specific requirement. Coach Spencer and the other coaches get together and evaluate an athlete’s performance and nominate a student. The athletic department feels that it will be an extra incentive to do well. Any student from the grades 7th-12th will have a chance to be nominated. The first person they chose was Raksia Buhl.

“To be chosen as the first athlete of the week felt really good, and very exciting,” sad junior Rakasia Buhl.

Buhl was told by Coach Spencer while sitting in class. Being chosen for the athlete of the week gives Buhl even more motivation to do better. Every time she steps onto the court she pushes herself to strive and to never let her teammates down. She looks forward to what the rest of the year will bring.

Since the first week of it’s announcement, the department has named Buhl, John Paul Reyna, Clara Coker, Haven Mortimer, Erakah Easley, and Brady Hering as Athletes of the Week. Hering earned the title two times after outstanding performances in the basketball games and leadership off the court.

“Brady (Hering) managed to produce a double-double despite Crawford sending constant double and triple teams at him,” said Coach Marvin Whitfield said of the reason for a new. “He also had 23 points and 9 rebounds against Bosqueville.”

Athlete of the week is announced on the RL Athletics and More Facebook page.